Main Article Content
Vaulting Corneo-Limbus, International Forum on Scleral Lens Research
The original scleral lenses (SGP), fitted over a hundred years ago, were designed to vault over the cornea and limbus and to land on the conjunctiva over the sclera. Among current SGP practitioners there appears to be a general agreement on the validity of this approach, so the philosophy of the desired SGP fit has not changed in this respect. Yet the SGPs available to practitioners come in sizes typically ranging between 13 and 20 mm in overall diameter. This reality may be interpreted to mean that there is a huge individual variation in the corneo-limbal diameter or that there is a disagreement on what this dimension truly amounts to. The purpose of this article is to establish what it is that we know and what still needs to be determined.
2. Bron A, Tripathi R and Tripathi B. The cornea and sclera. In: Wolff’s Anatomy of the Eye and the Orbit. 8th edn. London: Chapman & Hall Medical; 1997..
3. Douglas R and Lawrenson J. Eye. In Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 41st ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Limited; 2016.
4. Duke-Elder S and Wybar KC. The Cornea. In: System of Ophthalmology. Volume 2: The Anatomy of the Visual System. St Louis: Mosby; 1961.
5. Fatt I and Weissman B. Cornea I: Form, swelling pressure, transport processes, and optics. In: Fatt I and Weissman B (eds) Physiology of the Eye: An Introduction to the Vegetative Functions. 2nd edn. Stoneham: Butterworth-Heinemann; 1992.
6. Freddo T and Chaum, E. Cornea and The Conjunctiva and the Limbus. In: Anatomy of the Eye and Orbit. Philadelphia: Walter Kluwer; 2017.
7. Hogan MJ and Alvarado JA, Weddell JE. The Cornea. In: Histology of the Human Eye. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1971.
8. Mathew JH, Goosey JD, Söderberg PG, and Bergmanson JPG. Lamellar changes in the keratoconic cornea. Acta Ophthalmologica 2015;93(8):767–73. doi: 10.1111/ aos.12811.
9. Oyster C. The Cornea and the Sclera & The Limbus and the Anterior Chamber. In: Oyster, C. (ed.) The Hu-man Eye: Structure and Function. Sunderland: Sinauer Associates; 1999.
10. Remington L. Cornea and Sclera. In Remington L. (ed.) Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of the Visual System. 3rd edn. St. Louis: Elsevioer Butterworth-Heinemann; 2012.
11. Smolek M and Klyce S. Cornea. In: Duane T and Ea J. (eds) Biomedical Foundations of Ophthalmology. Vol 1. 1st edn. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000.
12. Snell R and Lemp M. The Eyeball. In: Snell R. and Lemp M. (eds) Clinical Anatomy of the Eye. 2nd edn. Malden: Blackwell Science; 1998.